The HP printer filter failed error can indicate that something is wrong with the device. Thus, you may be unable to use it. This particular error can mean that the filter of your printer may not be compatible with the version of the operating system that you are using on Mac or Windows. Hence, there are chances that you will see the filter failure error message on the printer’s screen. As a result, you will not be able to print anything or the print that you take out might not be of the desired quality.
To resolve the filter failure error you can try installing the driver of your printer manually, resetting the printer settings to default, and modify the printing and paper settings. Through this blog, we will try to give you a better understanding of the fixes and causes of the filter failure issue in HP printers.
What Does Filter Failed Mean on My HP Printer?
The filter failure issue on your HP printer means that this part may not be able to convert the data of your file to the data that is compatible and printer-friendly. The primary job of the filter in your printer machine is to convert the data type of your content to another data format that is acceptable to your HP device. A failure in doing so can generate the error of the HP printer filter failed on Mac, Windows, Ubuntu, etc.
Causes of the HP Printer Filter Failed Error
A situation in which the filter failed in HP printer in Mac OS or Windows may be caused due to the following:
- You may have installed the printer’s drivers in an inappropriate manner.
- Incorrect paper settings may be generating this problem.
- The sharing option may have been disabled on your device.
How Do I Fix the HP Printer Filter Failed Error?
The HP printer filter failure can be resolved by resetting the device’s settings and changing the settings of loading paper. Other fixes for the filter failure error can be the manual installation of the printer’s drivers and ensuring that the sharing option has been enabled.
You can read the detailed versions of the fixes below and quickly troubleshoot the problem of the filter failed on an HP printer.
Reinstall the Printer’s Drivers
Reinstalling the drivers can fix the filter failure error on your HP device. You need to remove your printer’s connection from your computer and then add it again. You have to download the updated version of the drivers through the official website of HP. You can install the printer’s driver by following the instructions that you see on your screen.
In case you still need more help as to how the failed filter on your device has to be resolved by reinstalling the drivers for it, you can read here:
- Click on the “System Information”.
- Then go to the “Printers” option.
- Here, you will be able to see the drivers that are installed in your printer.
- Remove the HP device that you think is causing the problem.
- Re-add the printer to your desktop.
- Download and install the latest version of the HP printer’s drivers.
After you have installed the updated drivers, your device’s filter failure issue should have been resolved.
Enable the Sharing Option
Enabling the sharing option allows connecting your printer and your system. This option can be found in the System Settings of your Windows computer. To reach these settings, you can open the Control Panel.
You can do the same by following the steps written here:
- Open the “Control Panel” through the “Start” menu.
- Go to “System Settings”.
- Click on the “Sharing” option.
- Enter your system’s name to pair with the printer.
- Then, click on “Exit”.
After you are done, restart your computer once for the changes you have made to come into effect.
Change the Paper Settings
The filter failure error may also be arising due to the incorrect settings of the paper. You can modify the paper settings by previewing the document you want to print. Then, click on the TIFF option from the dialog box and save your changes. Export your PDF document through the TIFF option. Uncheck the Alpha option and save the changes again. Then you can easily print your document.
We have given a detailed view of all the instructions that you may follow to execute this fix:
- While you are printing any PDF file, open the “Main Menu” from the PDF file in the dialog box.
- Go to the “Preview” section for opening the PDF.
- Click on the “File” menu to open it and then click on the “Save…” option.
- Then a format dialog box will open on your screen. Choose the “TIFF” option from it.
- Open the “Resolution” window and click on the “Pixels/inch” button.
- Enter “600” in the provided blank space.
- Click on the “Save” option in order to save the changes.
- Go to the “File” menu and then to “Export…” through the main menu.
- Again, click on the “TIFF” option from the “Format” dialog box.
- Uncheck the “Alpha” box and click on the “Save” option.
- Choose the “File” option and then click on the “Print” button.
After you have completed all the above steps, choose the correct paper size and paper dimensions and complete the printer settings. Then install the printer’s drivers in your system again.
How Do I Troubleshoot HP Printer Filter Failed on Mac?
When the filter of your HP printing machine displays a failure while using it on your Mac computer, you can reset its settings. Doing so is possible via System Preferences. As the settings get reset, the causes of the error will get removed.
To know the details of this fix, you can read further.
Reset the Settings of Your HP Printer on Mac
In an instance in which the issue of the filter failed an HP Printer on Mac is observed, you can prefer resetting the settings. To do so, you can move to System Preference on your Apple PC. In Print and Scan, you can locate the Reset Printing option. After this, you have to sign in as the Administrator. Eventually, you will be able to reset the settings of your HP printer.
- Click on the icon of “Apple”
- Press the “System Preferences” button.
- Find the “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax” option from the “Preferences” menu.
- You will find a “Reset Printing” option after you have clicked in the blank text field from the printer’s list.
- There will be a “Reset” option in the confirmation dialog box. Click on it.
- Sign in to the system as the “Admin” by using the respective login credentials.
- Click on the “Ok” option.
- Wait till the system resets and you see no available devices in the “Printers” list.
- Go to the “System Preferences”.
- Choose the “Printers and Scanners” option.
- Choose the “Add(+)” button in the “Printers and Scanners” menu.
- Here you will see the list of all the printers, select your HP device by clicking on it.
- After you have added your HP printer to your computer, you will need to click on the “Print Using..” button. The “Airprint” option would be selected by default.
In brief, we can say that the issue of the filter failure on your HP Printer may be caused by improper installation of the printer’s drivers, and incorrect paper settings of the printer. You can fix the filter failure error on your device by reinstalling the printer’s drivers manually and establishing the connection with the system again. We hope that we were able to provide you with the resolution for your problem and some extra bits of information also. If you like our blog, then please share it with others too. Here, you can also find here a detailed guide to fix HP Printer 49.4 c02 Error.