Looking for easy methods to connect a Canon printer to Mac? Then this quick guide will come in handy. The following guide explains various steps on How to connect Canon printer to Mac in detail. Once you take the help of this article and set up your new Canon printer your Mac laptop your print jobs will become easy.
The following methods to connect Canon printer to Mac laptops can be applied to the Mac OS X version. Users having other models of Macbook can also apply these instructions with a little smartness.
Connect Canon Printer to Mac
The procedure of connecting the Canon printer to your Macbook Air varies from one model to another. Some Canon printers support AirPrint while others need to be set up by the users themselves. If you do not have AirPrint and want to set up the Canon printer driver on your Mac system, read the content below.
Before starting to connect Canon wireless printer to Mac, make sure you are connected with the Wi-Fi network. Switch on the router and find the Wi-Fi connection on your Macbook, connect it by entering the correct login ID and password.
If you want a detailed method on how to connect Canon printer to Mac, you must follow the enlisted instructions thoroughly.
- Start your Macbook Air and navigate towards the ‘Applications’ folder to open it.
- Find the ‘AirPort Utility’ program and open it, choose your ‘Base Station’ and provide the correct password of the ‘Base Station’.
- Expand the options of ‘Base Station’ and select the option of ‘Add WPS Printer’.
- Now, to allow the WPS connection, select ‘PIN’ and ‘First Try’.
- If you have selected the ‘First Try’ option, hit the ‘WPS button’ on the Canon printer and click on the ‘Continue’ tab.
- When the ‘AirPort Utility’ shows your Macbook address, hit the ‘Done’ button.
- Close the windows of ‘AirPort Utility’ and open the folder of ‘System preferences’.
- Find and open the ‘Printers and Scanners’, there will be an icon of ‘Add’, click on ‘+’.
- Right-click on it and select the ‘Default’ and search for the printers and connect it with your Wi-Fi network.
- Choose your ‘Canon Printer’ by its name and hit the button of ‘Add Now’.
After following the aforementioned steps one by one, you will be able to connect Canon printer to Mac.
How to Connect Canon Printer to Mac Laptop?
Here are the essentials instructions that you must implement on your laptop in order to connect Canon printer to Mac.
- At first, plug in the USB cable with your Macbook as well as the Canon printer.
- Now, on the Macbook Air system, navigate towards the ‘Menu’ bar and click on it to open.
- Expand the options and select the ‘Choices’ to further choose the ‘Print and Fax’.
- Once again, click on the ‘Printers’ tab and open it.
- In case, your printer is not responding, go to the ‘Chauffeur’ downloads folder.
- Open the Printer internet browser and click the first options among the following:
- Default web browser
- IP Printers
- Now, select the ‘Model’ of your printer from the presented list.
- After the Apple Mac system will show its connection with the Canon printer by entering the ‘Active’.
- Now you need to decide on ‘Add’ to connect your Mac with Canon printer.
After following the aforementioned steps on how to connect Canon printer to Mac, your Canon printer will be connected to your Macbook Air.
How to Connect Canon printer to Mac without CD
If you do not have access to the CD which comes across with a Canon printer, there are other ways to install it other than by using its compact disk on your Mac.
Sometimes this situation may also arise if your Mac does not have an inbuilt CD-ROM drive or a DVD-ROM drive.
To be on the safe side, avoid doing so from any third-party website as it may bring in some potentially unwanted software along with the software which you are looking for. This can slow down the performance of your Mac at the subsequent stages.
So, the first thing you should do is think about downloading and installing drivers and software from the official website of Canon. This will help you set up your Mac wirelessly. Thereafter, you can think about downloading the requisite drivers later.
- Locate the button which corresponds to the menu on your printer.
- Highlight WLAN setup using the navigation (arrow) keys. Once this is done, press OK.
- The printer will run a search to look for networks that are nearby its position.
- Next, you will see three options on the screen: Standard setup, WPS and Other setup. The first one is automatically highlighted so press OK. Your printer may also prompt for connection to a WPS router if there is one located to its range. You can select “OK’ if you wish to permit the use of the option. Otherwise, you can also press OK to bypass it.
- The printer will hunt for the networks that are functional within its range. You will see the names of the available networks in the form of a list. Choose your preferred network out of the options shown on the list. If you wish to scroll through the options, you can make use of the arrow keys for the purpose. After successfully highlighting your preferred network, push the option ”OK”.
- The “Enter passphrase” screen will appear immediately if you have set your router on a password. In case you have one, enter the password and then press “OK” to enter the character entry screen. In case you have not set up a password, the wireless network would connect immediately on its own.
- When you are on the character entry screen, you will need to navigate among the characters using the arrow keys to set up a password for your wireless network.
- After you are done with the entry of your password, the next thing you need to do is to push the button which appears at the bottom left-hand corner of the screen just below “Done”.
- In the next step, the printer will proceed to connect to the network. Once this process is complete, press OK.
This concludes the steps on how to connect canon wireless printer to Mac. There is one more thing you need to do: download and install the software to control your printer from your Mac device.
Now that you have learnt how to install Canon printer on Mac, follow these simple steps for the installation of required software and drivers.
- First, go to the official website of Canon printer support page. Normally, it will automatically detect the version of the operating system installed on your Mac computer. If it fails to do so, you can choose it manually from the list of the operating system on the drop-down menu.
- Next, navigate to the option “Drivers & Downloads” in the ‘Drivers” section first download and then install the requisite drivers: the ICA driver, the MX920 series scanner and the CUPS printer driver.
- When the process of the installation of drivers is complete, click on the button to the right of the drivers and click download.
- Once downloaded, open all the drivers one by one. You will see a new window involving a package file on the screen. Open the file by clicking on it two times.
- After opening the file, follow the instructions that you see on the screen. Execute this process for all the downloaded files.
- Now open the Apple menu and choose the option “System Preferences”. Next, choose the option which corresponds to print, fax, scan, printers and scanners (the option on the screen may vary depending on the version of Mac OS on your Mac computer).
- On the bottom left part of the screen, you will see a “+” button. Click on it. Then you will see an option “Add printer or scanner”. You need to click on this option as well.
- Wait for a few seconds until the name of your Canon printer appears on the screen. When its name appears on the screen, choose the “Add” option.
That’s it! Your Canon printer is now setup wirelessly and is ready for use.
Why Choose us to Connect Canon Printer to Mac?
We are hopeful that now you have learned how to connect Canon printer to Mac and could successfully finish connecting your Canon printer to Mac laptop. Now, print any documents and make your work easy. In case you have any queries, start a conversation with our tech experts and get rid of issues you are facing.