The HP Printer Error 49 is caused by the attempt made by performing an action which the software is not capable of. Or your printer may not be designed to handle the complex commands. Error 49 in the HP printer is a communication error that can be caused due to many reasons. It can be seen as due to invalid operations or commands were given to the printer. The error 49’s occurrence can carry an alphabet along with it also. This is a FutureSmart firmware communication error and the alphabets along with it are variable values. The 49 error is a temporary issue and may not require any permanent hardware or software replacement. It can be easily resolved by running the power cycle again on your HP Printer.
Some of the HP Printer 49 Service Errors are Listed Below:
- HP Printer Error 49.4 c02
- 49.00 ff error
- 49.5 f14 error
What is a 49 Service Error on an HP Printer?
The HP Printer 49 service error can be termed as miscommunication between the server system and the printer which is receiving the commands from the user. The HP Printer Error 49 is mainly of two types that are Intermittent HP Printer 49 service error and Persistent HP Printer 49 service error.
- Intermittent HP Printer 49 Service Error
The error comes up only once over some time when the printer is functioning correctly and then not functioning again.
- Persistent HP Printer Error 49
It occurs repeatedly for one or more than one time even after solving the issue.
What are the Causes of HP Printer Error 49?
The 49 error is caused by network traffic or the concurrent timings of the jobs and commands were given to the printer. It may also be caused by a firmware glitch. Other reasons for this error are shown here:
- Printing the incompatible version of the files by the HP Printer
- Interfacing with a third-party fix that was not designed to work with the printer
- Timings of the jobs that are being given to the printer
- Concurrent processing of the job
- The network traffic coming into the printer in a specific environment
- Registry errors
Fixes for the HP Printer Error 49
You can fix the HP Printer error 49 by calibrating the printer, running the power cycle again, giving a test print, enabling the Auto recovery, etc. These fixes can be administered on your own. Listed below is a detailed explanation of all the fixes that are involved in resolving the error 49.
Calibrate the Printer
The method to fix the service error 49 is to calibrate the printer. First, you need to cancel all the jobs that are in processing. Then try giving a test print from a different software application. If the error is still there then you need to change the “DIMMS” or “EIO” devices that are connected to the printer.
Below, you can read more about all the steps involved to fix this issue:
- Press the “Cancel” job on the printer and clear the memory of the printer.
- Turn off the printer and after some time turn it on again.
- Try giving a test print from different software or a different application.
- When you succeed with the above step, then go back to the first application and give a test print.
- If you receive the error message, then you can contact the software vendor of that particular software.
- If the message persists with both the software, then disconnect the cables that are connected to the system and the printer.
- Turn off the printer.
- Remove all the “DIMMS” memories.
- Delete the third-party “DIMMS” from the printer.
- Remove all the “EIO” devices from the computer.
- Turn the printer on now.
- If the error no longer appears, then install each of the “DIMMS” and “EIO” devices one by one.
- Make sure you turn off the printer after installing each software.
- If the error still appears, replace a “DIMM” or “EIO” device.
Note: After following the above-mentioned steps, if the error message is still showing up, then check all the cable connections that might be connected to the printer and the system as well. Replace the formatter and calibrate the printer.
Cleaning the Registry
Another way to fix the error 49 in HP printers is by cleaning the registry of your computer. The registry is a large database that stores all the important settings and data of the computer. Sometimes when the registry stores too much data, it can cause a few errors, and error 49 might be one of them.
To ensure that the registry does not create any problem, you can download a registry cleaner. It will help in keeping the registry storage junk-free and it won’t take up much space also.
Running the Power Cycle
Running the power cycle means turning off your printer and turning it on again. Follow the steps given here to run the power cycle:
- Disconnect all the power cables that are connected to the printer and your system. Turn off your printer.
- Turn it on again after some time when all the jobs are stopped.
This is the most effective fix in solving this error. If the 49 service error message still shows up then you can follow the below-given fix.
Enable Auto Recovery
The HP Printer Error 49 can also be resolved by enabling Auto Recovery. At first, you need to print an event logo from the printer to find out the frequency of the error 49. If the frequency comes out less than 1, then the error will not harm your printer.
In case the frequency comes out more than 1 per week, you have to make sure that Auto Recovery is enabled. You can enable Auto Recovery from the control panel or using the Embedded Web Server (EWS).
If you don’t know how to enable the Auto Recovery feature, then these step-by-step instructions will tell you how to do it.
- In the case of FutureSmart 3, Go to “Administration” and “Management”. In the case of FutureSmart 4, go to “Settings” then “General”.
- Click on the “Auto Recovery” option.
- Click on “Enable”.
- After clicking on “Enable”, click on “Save” to save the changes you have made.
Update the Firmware from the Preboot Menu Using a USB Flash Drive
If the error code 49 still shows up then the cause of the error might be an older version of the firmware file. You can update the firmware file by downloading it from the website after finding whether the printer is running FutureSmart 3 or FutureSmart 4. Then you can save it to a USB drive and update the firmware by uploading it to your system.
Below listed are the step-by-step instructions through which you can update your firmware easily:
- Print a configuration page, this will help you in determining whether the printer is running FutureSmart 3 or FutureSmart 4.
- Go to the official website of HP.
- Click “Upgrade Now” to have a look at the list of all the printers and the updated versions of the firmware.
- Find your HP printer model and click on the “link” to the download page.
- Scroll through either the “FutureSmart 4” or “FutureSmart 3” section.
- Find the “Firmware” file.
- Click on the “Download” button.
- Choose the “Save as” option and then save it on your USB drive.
- Select the “Open Folder” option.
- Browse to your desired location where you want to save the file.
- Right-click on the “.zip” file and select “Extract All Files”.
- Update the firmware from the “Preboot” menu which would be on the “Control Panel”.
- Click on the “Administrator” option.
- Scroll through the list and select “Download”.
- Insert the USB drive in front of the printer.
- Click on the “USB Thumb Drive”.
- Select the file with “.bdl” extension.
- Click on the “Ok” or you can also press “6”.
Note: After you have followed the above-given instructions, wait for the process to get completed. When the “Complete” message is displayed, the HP printer will automatically reboot. After the printer is restarted, you can also print a test page to ensure that the firmware is updated or not.
The error 49 on HP printers usually indicates improper communication between your machine and computer. After reading this article you found out the causes of the HP Printer error 49. These can be inclusive of invalid commands or operations given by the user, incompatible version of the firmware, disabled auto-recovery, etc. The fixes for this error include calibrating the printer, updating the firmware, cleaning the registry, and running the power cycle. Through all these fixes your error would have been resolved by now. We will advise you to remember everything you got to know here to troubleshoot this error in case it arises in the future. If you want to fix HP Printer In Error State. Then you can contact us via telephone or mail.